Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2016

Dracula: The Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt - a worthy sequel to the original! 4/5 stars!

Today, I am reviewing the Horror/Paranormal story Dracula: The Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. This is a story set in the beginning of the 20th Century, decades after the first interaction with the Transylvanian Prince. The characters have aged, and are each dealing with the repercussions of those events on their lives in their own ways...some less successfully than others. The story centers around Quincey Harker, the namesake of the Texan who stabbed Dracula during their confrontation and the son of Jonathan and Mina. Obsessed with drama and desiring to pursue a career in acting rather than law as his father commands, he falls in with a young, exotic actor who is taking Europe by storm, As he interacts with the world, he discovers there is more to the young actor's story - and his own - than he could have ever imagined.

I give this book a 4/5. Here is my breakdown.

Characters: 4/5. I enjoyed hearing about the familiar characters and found their reactions to their lives after Dracula to be plausible. The interactions between them - and the forced separations - rang true for me. I also enjoyed the dialogue and the new additions - Bathory, Quincey Harker, and the rest - and found myself wrapped up in their stories.

Plot/Storyline: 4/5. Solid, serviceable, and enjoyable. I liked the changes they made to the original and the explanations given. I know that many people felt that these changes perverted the intent of the first book, and that may be so, but I had a good time with THIS story, and judge it on that basis.

Flow: 4.5/5. Nice and easy to read. The scenes cut well together and the sentences flowed smoothly. I was able to immerse myself in the book easily and well.

Spelling/Grammar: 5/5. This book, unlike many of my reads, is a traditionally-published work, and the editing reflects what that is SUPPOSED to mean. I found no issues of spelling or grammar.

Overall: 4/5. I enjoyed this book very much. The world of Dracula is a fascinating one, something that I enjoy in many different ways over many different adaptations and interpretations, and this added something new yet familiar to the mix.

To purchase, just check out the link below. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment